The Medieval Lace Book RR

 

The next Medieval Lace book I was working in was Karen. Her theme is John Waterhouse’s heroines. Here are the front and back covers of the spread.

CIMG7288

By pure coincidence I used a large piece of lace on the left side of the page, that perfectly matches the lace Karen used for the last page of her book. It will look like it was meant to be. Which of course, it was…

CIMG7289

This is the inside left page, showing Courtly Love.

CIMG7290

The right page is built around an image of a young lady kneeling in front of her knight in shining armor. The two pages are built on top of a beautiful piece of dyed lace, which has completely disappeared under all the embellishments. l-))

On the right page are several layers of doilies, with some chiffon to frame the image, and some guipure lace. The top trim is metal hearts and under the purple velvet is upholstery trim.

I never realized how very dark Waterhouse images are. It was a challenge to keep the page light.

CIMG7291a

 

I added a vintage brooch that I had in my collection, with beautiful stones that echo the colors on the page.

CIMG7291

It seems I haven’t posted the previous pages I had done for Teri in NYC. So here they are. Her theme is Horses and Armors.

On the left page, I used a picture of a horse that actually comes from a carousel. I loved the colors. I tracked down, with a lot of help from my friend Deb who is also in this RR, a horse blanket pin. Then I aged it.

On the right, I printed some horse equipment terms in French, like Haslebarde, Bride (which is the bridle), Henaut, the helmet, Joult, (Joust), Harnais, (harness), Destrier (a form of horse) Cheval (horse) and Palefroi (a farm horse)

CIMG7037

For the right page, I used a reporduction of the Black Prince riding armor. It was such a beautiful image. I used a belt which I had cut up and painted, to look like a bridle.

CIMG7038

CIMG7039

 

I have to admit, it is quite a superb round robin that we’re having, and the books are really turning magnificent. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful group of talented artists.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you posted these pages here as well as on the Yahoo site. I get a real chance to see all the little details that you have so patiently put together to create some stunning pages for both Karen and Teri.
    You have found some amazing medieval horse images and I am rather partial to the Waterhouse women as you would guess. Such beautiful work here as all the pages from all the girls really is!
    x Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun for you-and the results are stunning

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your comments. They make my day! Make sure you have an ID before posting. Thank you.