The Journey - David Whyte

A New Year around the corner. It makes me contemplative. This poem is appropriate.

THE JOURNEY

Above the mountains
the geese turn into
the light again

Painting their
black silhouettes
on an open sky.

Sometimes everything
has to be
inscribed across
the heavens

so you can find
the one line
already written
inside you.

Sometimes it takes
a great sky
to find that

small, bright
and indescribable
wedge of freedom
in your own heart.

Sometimes with
the bones of the black
sticks left when the fire
has gone out

someone has written
something new
in the ashes of your life.

You are not leaving

you are arriving.



David Whyte

3 comments:

  1. Awesome poem!! When I worked at the community college, David Whyte came there to speak and I am blanking on the name of the book--it was the first one that made everyone talk about him--the heart something? Can you send me a copy of that poem??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice poem!! I love the weeping willow tree picture! It is one of my favorite trees. So graceful, beautiful, and somber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem really speaks to me, Sox. I just came back from a week at a spa, did lots of meditation, and found exactly what this poem is about to be true. lovely. xo-teri

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your comments. They make my day! Make sure you have an ID before posting. Thank you.