Wabi sabi paintings

I had meant to study wabi sabi and I had been saving articles about it. I started this afternoon, and made 6 little panels, as well as 2 bigger paintings.

The term wabi sabi is Japanese and refers to the transient aspect of life. It is fascinated with objects and nature decaying, knowing that all will die and be transformed.



I painted the series on small panels, 3x6, and the next two are 8x12. I've used clear gesso to give shape and texture, and alcohol inks. I'd never used the AI before, but they seem to lend themselves to this process. Here's a close up of each one:



I started the bigger ones on a panel that I'd painted black as an experiment. This one would be a sunset on a field.

This one... is open to interpretation!

15 comments:

  1. The six are exquisite!! You have outdone yourself!! Make more and get these to a gallery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ! And I will load them into your truck to take them down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sox, Beautiful!! yes, you need to show these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get hung up on the Western concept of death and decay. The Eastern wabi-sabi is more about impermanence and imperfection. I love these paintings and you have hit upon a great technique. I can certainly see this as a gallery exhibit series

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, beautiful subject, WONDERFUL blog. Thank you for pulling me into your web!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I would never guess those are done with alcohol inks. I'm going to need to do some studying of this technique too. I agree with all the others. Get these out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very very interesting. I love this technique. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The panels are beautiful. The color is so rich. I've used alcohol inks on metal with success but they "blobbed" on me when I applied them to a painted paper covered with and gel medium. Hmmm...
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like these, but don't know what "AL" is.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are stunning! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your comments. They make my day! Make sure you have an ID before posting. Thank you.